Allow end users to customize reports
KB Artcile # 2649
Arnica WebReport allows you to configure reports in a way that lets end users change certain report features and save their changes for next time the same user runs the report. The features which end users may modify are the following:
- column selection
- column position
- filter selection
- filter prompt position on report prompt page
For security reasons, end users may only modify those features, which were set up as "customizable by end users" at design time, e.g. end users may reduce the number of columns displayed by report, but they may not add columns, which were set up as not visible. End users may also disable filters set up as modifiable by end-users, but filter composition itself is set at design time and may not be modified by end users.
In order to enable report customization features, the following should be set at design time:
- report must have authentication enabled - report must establish user identity in order to save personalized changes
- customization feature must be enabled
- optional: customization icon display must be enabled (for standard report layout)
- optional: filters must be set as customizable by end users. If no filters are defined as customizable by the end users at design time, then only columns layout may be customized.
To enable authentication, select one of the two bottom options for the 'access control' field on the report properties page:
To enable customization feature and user customization icon display, go to report output style page:
With these design time modifications, report should have a new "Report Customization" icon on its toolbar, which brings up a dialog page with customization options for columns and filters:
Customizations made using this dialog page are saved per user and stay in effect every time the same user runs the report. Users may change their customization preferences or reset to default at any time. Different users will have different settings. Because preferences are stored in the central database repository (i.e. not in client-side cookies), users will continue to use consistent personalized report presentation from any computer or any browser as long as they are logged in with their user name.